Prior to dyeing the yarn, I soaked it in a bucket of hot water with a mordant. In this case, I used alum (as the mordant) so that I could get a nice yellow color.
Viola! I now have two big, fat skeins of onion-dyed yarn. (The color is actually a little bit darker yellow than it appears here on the computer. )
I also tried dyeing with dandelions, using vinegar as the mordant, which is supposed to produce a lovely purple color. But it turned out to be a total flop. Nothing happened except my yarn turned a little gray. I even tried twice. Nothing. Arrgh.
I didn't have the patience for a third attempt at the dandelion dye, because I am having an affair with my new drum carder. Not kidding! I'm totally in love with this baby!
...listing them in my Etsy store, uh, then pulling them off so I can spin them up myself!
I've also carded straight mohair batts so that I can spin a 100% mohair yarn. My very first skein is from my Angora goat, Walter. Here's Walter after his spring shearing. He has a great personality and very nice silky fleece.
Walter's yarn turned out amazing. But, again, I'm faced with the dilemma of selling it...or knitting it. Decisions, decisions!